Sunday, September 13, 2009

Banana pancakes!

There are no pictures of this deliciousness...a.) they looked like, SURPRISE, pancakes! and b.) I was starving. I realize that as I female in her ninth month of pregnancy I am pretty much always starving. But I ate mine up real quick and then froze the left overs for some post baby breakfasts with ease.

Ok on to the story...and the recipe...=)

I am a die hard Taste and Tell fan. Low and behold I see a pretty picture of some banana waffles with a link to the recipe at Cafe Zupas. Apparently it's National Waffle Week. Who knew? Well, I have some bananas in the freezer but since I shouldn't be eating too many carbs since they make my blood sugar high and blah blah blah Banana bread is probably not the best idea. I don't own a waffle maker though. Crap. Oh well...I followed the like to Cafe Zupas anyway just to see what it looked like and if I could make pancakes out of it without too much trouble. I find the recipe they used...as well as a little tag saying that they adapted it from a recipe on Epicurious. Hmmm. Now I want to go look at the original recipe and see what they changed! All this for a recipe for banana pancakes. Now mind, that by this time I have a craving and we ARE eating banana pancakes . End of story.

So off to Epicurious I go in search of the original recipe. BINGO!

Not actually all that different from the recipe at Cafe Zupas. Regardless, it's for....PANCAKES!! Not waffles! YAY! So I definitely made me and the husband some delicious banana pancakes.

Banana Pecan Cornmeal Pancakes

  • 1 very ripe medium banana (about 1/2 pound) **I ended up using 2 what I would consider medium bananas to get 1/2 pound**
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt **left it out on accident, but didn't really miss it**
  • 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup pecans, toasted lightly and chopped **None on hand, would be good with them, but I wasn't crushed**
  • vegetable oil for brushing griddle **Used butter and only for the first batch**

Chop banana and in a blender blend with all remaining pancake ingredients except pecans and oil. Transfer batter to a bowl and stir in pecans. **I just poured my batter directly out of the blender since I didn't use the nuts.**

Heat a griddle over moderate heat until hot enough to make a drop of water scatter over surface and brush with oil. Working in batches, drop scant 1/4-cup measures of batter onto griddle to form pancakes about 4 inches in diameter and cook until bubbles appear on surface and undersides are golden brown, about 1 minute. Flip pancakes with a metal spatula and cook until undersides are golden brown and pancakes are cooked through, about 1 minute.

Serve pancakes with syrup.

1 comment:

  1. I love pecans. You didn't mention there were pecan in these. mmmm

    I'm also a fan of smooshing up some bananas and whipping them up with the egg mixture for french toast. When you can have carbs again...try that!

    ReplyDelete